The Mel-O-Dee is reminiscent of the old Las Vegas Lounges of the 60's. It first opened in Albany in the late 1940's after World War II and moved to it's current location in the El Cerrito Plaza in November of 1969.
The name "Mel-O-Dee" came from the name of the two original owners; Mel and Joseph Demartini. They have since passed but the Mel-O-Dee stands strong in the local El Cerrito community 'til this very day, bringing in many loyal regulars.
In 2009, the Mel-O-Dee took on a pleasant new owner, Ralph Zaragoza, who gave it a new facelift and a few modern amenities such as 5 flat screen TV's, a digital jukebox, and karaoke nights. There is also WiFi and plenty of free parking.
Fun Fact! Some of our signature velvety wallpaper, bar top and tables have been here since November of 1969, so it's older than some of our staff! Come and feel the famous red velvet walls and take a selfie (if you're a lady) in our quaint Lady's waiting room!